Thursday, November 20, 2008

Technology

ok this is bad parent confession time.
S has a cell phone.  And we have an unlimited text plan.
Do you see where this is going?

She has her phone in the morning before school, and then after school until 9pm.  She is not to text during school, and she doesn't text during dinner. 
So I would like to give you a chance to make a wild guess as to how many texts she makes in a month.
Go ahead... try it.
5000?  Nope
10000? Nope
14000?  Yep this last month and that is down 3000 because we told her she had a limit and would lose it if she didn't stop.

Is that completely nuts???!!!  One month she had 17500 in the month!  phew, can't even fathom how that happens.

Yes we think so too.  We have taken it from her again.  I mean for heavens sake, do the math. Ok, so I can't really do that math in my head but good grief.  She is going to arthritis in her thumbs  by the time she's 17. ;o)

Today she started to try to have an argument with me via text.  I had to catch myself and told her that if she wanted to talk to me she would have to call me.  Gosh, what a concept.  Speak on the phone for real with someone? ok I am chuckling at myself on this one, cause I talk to my very best friends online all the time.  ;o)  But this is different right? ;o)


5 comments:

Audrey said...

LOL! I know - my kids are texting geniuses, too. How they can rack up that many texts in a month I have no idea. And I wonder...could this translate into some real life application where they make lots of cash and support me in my old age??

Andrea Hill said...

That is insane. She got my Danica beat big time? Are you sure she is not using her phone in school?:) Yeah our children got it made. They are so spoiled.

Bergmama said...

14000?!?!?! Good thing you have an unlimited plan! ;)

Matthew and Amanda said...

WHAT?!?!? I hate texting, seriously it takes me forever to type what would take 2 minutes to talk to the actual person! Way to be a mom, not just her friend!

Amanda

Aaron said...

I know for a fact that this is one of the conversations we had in the van ride to the Embassy! HA

It's a generational thing. Teens and 20 somethings would rather text than talk. In Japan sociologist are calling this generation the "thumb generation". They use their thumbs for video games and texting so much that when they get in an elevator they use their thumb rather than finger to press the buttons! Our generation would rather sit down and talk....they text....just a different means of communicating.