Thursday, September 17, 2009

Til I am 10?

How long do we hold our mistakes?

N had a bad day yesterday. His first one this year... in week 2.

I spoke to his teacher and we discussed some options and I think we are on the same page. She isn't worried about N. He just needs time to adjust. I will admit to falling into that place I was last year when the issues started in school...those feelings of failure and judgement came washing back over me.

This morning a comment he made struck me. We were talking about the day and that it was a new day, a day for new beginnings. He asked about the red sticker (red is not good) in his notebook ...he asked if we could remove it. I told him no it had to stay for now. He then said "Will it stay til I am 10?!"

N's teacher and I spoke yesterday about N's need and desire to 'do his best work'. He likes to have things a certain way, he likes things lined up, put away properly, arranged just so, letter's written the right way.... he's a bit of a perfectionist.

This red sticker in his notebook is a reminder to him that he did not have his best day.

How many red stickers should I have in my notebook? man! Thank goodness my boss doesn't send me home with a notebook of stickers for how I handled my day... or my kids don't rate me daily. Ok maybe they do, but thank goodness I don't get mommy stickers... yikes

He had a bad day, we all have bad days... we repent, regroup, pray ...and start over.

Today is his new day. This is the day that the Lord has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it.

The red stickers in my life are reminders of the times I screwed up, but the joy is in the fact that I have a new day to make things right.

Thank you Jesus for the ability to repent and see a new beginning.

3 comments:

Holli said...

oh I would HAVE WAY TO MANY RED STICKERS!
Praying today was a better day! (tomorrow and the next!)

Through the LORD'S mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23 NKJ

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Have you ever read the Wemmicks book by Max Lucado about stars & dots stickers? It's called You Are Mine. That is a great story and makes it understandable to anyone how God removes our marks!!!!

Andrea Hill said...

Your N seems like such a perfectionist. Maybe you could talk to the teacher about cutting out the reds after a while because it is a reminder to him. Poor guy, that comment was pretty deep.