Thursday, September 24, 2009

Mission meeting

Tonight is our next mission meeting.

I am really looking forward to it! I don't know why it's not anything special, other than it means one more step in the right direction.

You know... one of the things I am struggling with is the need to share the heart of Ethiopia.

I sent the video in the previous post to the team. It was of Rwanda, but it could have been Ethiopia. The faces, the roads, the people the houses, the smiles.... those smiles of joy when they have so little. The friendships and sense of family they have when they have nothing else. Neighbors carrying their friends to the hospital. Strength and courage like we will never have to experience here. Also pain and despair....

It's a country of beauty and warmth. It's green and lush... dry and dusty.

Last night in our leadership training there was a quote about being 'super Christian'. I forget what it was exactly but it warned against this mentality. All I could think of was our team. Seeing us all flying into Ethiopia as "Super Christians" with our white capes trailing behind us.

While it's a funny visual ...it's NOT the mental picture I want us to have. We may be going to work and do some good but I plan to come away with, and learn so much more than what I went there with. I am not special or super good or better than anyone... I just hurt for those that are hurting. I want to make a relationship with the country that gave me my sons. I want to give back to her a tiny little piece of what she gave me. Heal a tiny little sliver of the hurt that she has endured.

I pray that those that come along are able to see the beauty that I see, not just the pain. I pray that like a stone makes ripples in the water, each person that comes back starts their own ripple effect....

Will you pray that with me?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen!! I will pray for you and your trip. That has been my prayer on my heart. I want people to see the beauty, the wonder, not just the pain. You all have been and will continue to be in my prayers.

LisaShaw said...

I'm praying dear sister. Your words are LIFE because they are the HEART of OUR GOD!

I love you and I'm praying.

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Absolutely!!!!

Andrea Hill said...

Awhhhh, this will be a very exiting trip. I am sure we will all grow a lot. Thanks so much for having me join telephonically. I loved hearing all the voices, espcially yours. Your and Tim are great leaders.

Tiffany said...

yes, ma'am! I pray for the very same things for your team.