Thursday, August 13, 2009

Storms

I love when God speaks!

Last night we had some pretty major storms here, I wasn't sure I was going to make it home from work because of flash flooding. At one point I drove into water that didn't look so deep until I got into it then I just prayed my way to the other side. Isn't that just like life sometimes?

Praise God I was able to make it home without incident, but can I just tell you that I HATE driving in that mess?!

As I was driving to work this morning I was pondering all the things I need to do and make sure happen for Saturday. Running the lists in my head and trying to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything.

Then as I am driving.....my engine light flashed on.

Really???!!!

I just laughed. Honestly I do not have time for this engine light issue. I don't have time to deal with a broken vehicle. As I was laughing ... not completely without some hysteria. ;o)... a young lady came on the radio and spoke to her fears that morning and then quoted a verse.

Psalm 34:4 I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.

The radio personality said "I'll bet there is someone out there that needed to hear that. Someone dealing with fear."

As I was listening I realized it was me. I needed to hear it. All the lists going on in my head were because I am so afraid of failing at this yard sale. My husband asked how you can fail at a yard sale...lol But this isn't just some junk in my front yard. It's public, and at the church, and involves so many people, and so many possibilities for something to happen. Really it's not like the end of world of some minor issues happen...but I have this underlying fear of messing it up.

My engine light plays to my fear of lack of finance, with D losing his job we are in this place of uncertainty and a pretty significant financial cut backs. We don't really have that wiggle room.

As the caller read her verse again I began to sob. (not great when driving on the interstate)

But then the next song came on......

Casting Crowns "I Will Praise You In This Storm"

The sobbing initially got stronger as I just felt God's presence. But as I sang at the top of my lungs through my sobs I just felt such peace.

It felt like God was saying Praise me in this storm. I am with you.

I sang " I lift my eyes up to the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord the maker of heaven and earth."

If you find yourself in a storm today. Lift your eyes to him. If you find yourself in the midst of waters that didn't look so deep when you got in... but now you find yourself drowning...hold on to Him...He will lift you up again.

Praise Him in this storm.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Amen.
Amen.
Amen.

Amy Jo said...

Wow, Andrea, what a powerful experience. I love how you allowed God to teach you through your fear. Great insights.

BTW - love your blog design!

Sweet blessings,
Amy