Monday, December 8, 2008

2 Years





Our referral picture.
This was the first time we saw his little face, September 18th 2006.  What was behind those eyes, what was he thinking, what had he lost?

Then December 8, 2006 we walked into the care center and saw those eyes... and BONUS his sweet beautiful dimples.  Our first meeting was a rough one, he's a smart cookie our little N, and he knew were there to change his life.  I k
now he wasn't sure how much, but he'd seen his other friends have families come and be extra nice and then they would leave forever.  He wasn't sure he wanted any parts of that.
We stayed and played with him and fed him and tried to let him know we were ok people...lol

We left that day in awe and a little fearful to be ho
nest. What if he decided that he didn't like us, what if this didn't turn out the way we had dreamed?  What could we do tomorrow to he
lp him warm up?


This was his face on the day we said good bye to the orphanage forever.  Poor little face.  He was lost, and scared, we couldn't wait to get him home.  We took that grueling, 19 hour flight home and cried most of the way. He cried and screamed most of the way, and I was sick as a dog.  All I could think was "God, you brought us to this, I know you will bring us through it."  

In the last 2 years we have seen this sweet face blossom, he's strong willed, and loving and exuberant, and stubborn, and funny.  I can't tell you how many times over the last 2 years that I have thanked God for putting him in our lives.  How many times we have marveled at the amazing spirit he has.  



This is N yesterday while we were decorating for Christmas.
There are days that I wonder if I am honoring the decision his birth family made to give him to us for safe keeping.  Am I being a good mother, am I loving him enough, or the right way.  Am I giving him all that they had hoped?

That tiny sweet little boy is growing and changing and becoming his own little person, he's a boy now, no longer a toddler.  Where does the time go?

I love you my N, I love you with all of my heart.  I hope that you will always know that you have a special and unique, and amazing place in our hearts.  That the part of you that is Ethiopia, is the part we will always treasure above all, and that we too miss what has been left behind.

Love you,
Mommy

6 comments:

Andrea Hill said...

Wow, time flies. I can't believe he has been with your for 2 years already. It looks like his adoption went pretty fast compared to E. They both have really special personalities and are such a great match for each other. Isn't that really nice how we can blog about our children and one day they get to read it all?

Cindy said...

Perfect timing. I've had our little Abi on my mind all night - wondering how he will react when I meet him for the first time this week. Will he be afraid of me? What should I say, or do? Should I hug him, or will it scare him if I do? Thank you for sharing this tonight - just when I needed it. I need the reminder that this is going to take time, a lot of time, and patience. But we will get to a point some day, where he feels safe here. Where he feels like we are "home" to him. I pray for this so very much.
Love you.

SupermomE13 said...

He looks like such a baby in the referral picture! What a doll. I am so glad he is yours and you are his. :)

Love,
E

Aaron said...

HAPPY GOTCHA DAY!!!!!! I think it's a way better day than birthdays!

Matthew and Amanda said...

What a precious little face (although if he's anything like Teshe - N would insist he is a BIG boy and there is nothing little about him!). His smile is amazing, I bet it just warms your heart to see it every day.

Amanda

LisaShaw said...

He is so adorable and what a precious, tender story. I feel like I'm becoming family as I read through your messages tonight.