Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Final

So with Ethiopian adoption  (and possibly other international but I only know Ethiopian) when you adopt a child they are legally yours as far as Ethiopia is concerned, and really the US as well. But it's also necessary to have your child's adoption finalized in the state where you reside.  This is where the ranting came from in a previous post regarding the home study agency and an over paid lawyer.

Anywho, I called the lawyers office today to make sure that he knew my displeasure at his office's mishandling and as it turns out they had filed our paperwork last week with an expedite and it was finalized on Monday the 5th!  

So N is officially, as far as the state is concerned... OURS!  We should be receiving the decree in the mail soon and his new birth certificate within 8 weeks.  

I was telling D that is was sort of anticlimactic.   Similar to our embassy appointment in Addis where they asked us a couple of questions to which we said yes, and then they said "well congrats, he's yours...NEXT".  

I don't know what I was thinking it would be like... trumpets and cheering?... nah I guess not.  In reality he's been ours since the moment we were told about him, so it's all pretty anticlimactic.

So this week we have our N Finalization and our acceptance of E's referral.  It's been a better than good week!



No comments: