Wednesday, June 2, 2010

New Direction?

One of the things God has been showing me in these last couple of months that I have been trying to ignore the burning bush …is the scope of what orphan care looks like.

I have focusing my desires on bringing more children into my home, and while honestly I would still do that in a heart beat, I think God’s plan is bigger than that. Maybe not bigger, but certainly different.

I learned on this past trip, and since then, that the care of orphans isn’t limited to caring for the child.

Almost a year ago to the day I wrote this post: What am I missing?.

Funny how God works isn’t it? What is it about June that has me thinking about this subject?

I am currently in the throws of planning the beginnings of our next mission team. There was a part of me that didn’t want to plan it. I didn’t want to get caught up in planning another trip when I so wanted to be planning an adoption. However after we gave the mission trip presentation, Tim and I both felt more convicted to go back. Then my mother and brother both approached me and said they want to go along. If you have read my blog for any length of time you know that our relationship has been an interesting one. I love him dearly and he’s a truly great guy, but we have had some falling out moments. His wanting to come along is pretty huge.

Honestly my mom wanting to come is kind of huger. My mom is awesome don’t get me wrong. She’s got a HUGE heart and fully supported our trip. Even went as far as putting together 25 medical care bags for the widows of the Orphans and Widows Home in Adama. She had been pretty adamant that she didn’t think she was ‘cut out’ to go though, and now she feels like God is telling her other wise.

And of course D is all about going this time as well. yay!

I have changed the focus of my prayer to have Him show me how He wants to use me this time, instead of “Please change His heart Lord! Please give me a child Lord!” :o)

I can still envision a place where mother’s can go that will care for them, support them, and help them to live, so there are less orphans. Holding those sweet tiny little babies while in Ethiopia I couldn’t help but think of mother’s and what it took for them to leave those sweet souls under a tree, or by the side of the road. Or if perhaps they had died in child birth and the father had to make that decision. What if those mothers had had care? What if they had had resources, would I have been holding those babies?

I still don’t know what it looks like, but I know He’s leading me, and it feels more and more like I am actually going in the right direction this time.

8 comments:

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Praying for continuing guidance :) God's dreams are bigger than our own :)

Unknown said...

I am praying for you friend as you are praying and searching for these answers. I know that God is leading you in the right direction!

Tarah said...

wow! You are in our prayers. How huge. I wish I lived closer to go to coffee with you. :)
Can't wait to see how God uses you again!

Tammy said...

Can't wait to see what God's specific plans are for you. Keep us posted!

Tiffany said...

"I still don’t know what it looks like, but I know He’s leading me, and it feels more and more like I am actually going in the right direction this time. "

That's called faith, baby. And that's often all He asks of us. Our expectations and desires often hold us back from that which is so much better and ultimately planned!

Praying for you...

Our journey following Christ said...

I told you I couldn't wait to see where God led you!! It's obvious He has a special hand you and a special plan for you to accomplish for Him!

This is so exciting. To have your mom, brother and husband on this trip will be HUGE and life changing for everyone. They'll really get to see you in your element.

Praising God for knowing more than we do,
Laura

Unknown said...

Andrea,

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

I look forward to reading up on your journey and following you from here forward!

In Christ,
Christie

LisaShaw said...

Praise the LORD Andrea!

GOD's hand is all over this message because HE is all over you and your family!

I'm excited that you are following the leading of the Holy Spirit; preparing for the next blessing of missions trip and that your family, as a unit is involved in this. Awesome!

Your heart for all of the precious orphan children is so humbling and touching to see. You're a beautiful extension of the heart of GOD for children.

I pray that as HE leads you and provides for you and your family that lives will be touched and changed. I pray for every one of those precious children to have safe, loving arms wrapped around them within the walls of a family unit one day soon rather than an orphanage.

I love you and I'm PRAYING!!