Thursday, December 2, 2010

Choices

A couple of weeks ago, my wedding ring broke. Yep broke. I was putting lotion on my hands before bed and it cracked. Strong lotion I guess?

It’s the 3rd time it’s happened in the same place and D’s is getting very worn out. His working construction, and the less than fine quality of the rings…led to them being out of life at the ripe old age of 17 yrs.

So we decided that this year for Christmas we would buy each other new wedding rings.

Online I went to see what was out there… do we match again or do we find something that is more practical for D and simple for me?

Goodness! Who knew there were so many choices? We found a store that was having a sale and went to check them out. Not so much of a selection, so we decided to go into the mall and check out the jewelry stores. Ouch! Not inexpensive…Maybe we weren’t going to get new rings, even plain bands were getting out of our price range.

I did find out that I am apparently some kind of wedding ring fashion nightmare though…lol I have always worn my engagement ring closest to the palm and the wedding ring next. You should have seen the crossed eyed look I got from one guy when I said, I simply wore them that way because I had gotten the engagement ring first and liked the way it looked. I mean, seriously does it matter that much? Then when asked what metal I wanted I said I didn’t care, I would know the ring when I saw it. I wear a lot of silver and gold so it didn’t really matter to me. Again the crossed eyed look.

I so wanted to say, look buddy, there are so many other things we could be worrying about. I want a ring that shows the love and commitment I have for my husband, however I do not need it to be a fashion statement.

So I settled on a simple gold band and D is getting one in that Tungsten indestructible metal stuff, his has crosses on it. (I am a little jealous of the crosses) So we don’t match…and that’s ok. 

This whole process reminded me of a scripture I had just read earlier that day from Phil 4:6-9 “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me–everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.” (NLT)

I had needed the verse, as my brain has been on overload trying to figure out how to get everything done that needs to be done, and still keep my sanity and my job. It hasn’t been working out in my head, and it’s been messin’ with my heart.
So I printed the verses out, taped them to my computer at work and repeated it several times throughout the day.

As D and I stepped out to shop for rings, I began to worry about the money we would spend, Christmas coming, the adoption (as you can see my Chip in button isn’t moving lol), the mission trips… do we have the money? Do we have the time? Blah blah blah… and then this verse jumped back in my head.

God said…you have a choice, you can trust me… or not. You can choose to get all blingy (yep God said blingy) in your wedding rings or you can choose to be frugal and simple and know that while there’s not bling on the outside, the bling on the inside is shinier and more beautiful than any diamond or decoration.

So I choose to keep putting into practice all I have learned and received from Him–everything I heard from Him and saw Him doing. Then the God of peace will be with me.

I will share a pic of the rings when they come in. :)

3 comments:

Our journey following Christ said...

I know that if I had it to do all over again, things this time around would be more simple. Like you, my desires have drastically changed from when I was 19. What was important is not any longer.

I love the idea that you are getting new bands. Mine broke a few years ago, too and I found a guy to make up a setting just like my old one. I'm happy I did it that way. I'm not a fancy person either!

Can't wait to see your pics!

Anonymous said...

Love this post and love Phil 4 - such a great reminder that I use quite often - can't wait to see the new rings, congrats!!

Unknown said...

Yes , you are saying right ,tungsten is better than from the gold.

----
tungsten rings