Friday, May 7, 2010

May 7th, World AIDS Orphan Day

It seems so interesting to me that today is the day that brings the plight of AIDS orphans to light.

It was on this day in 2008 that we accepted the referral for our E. Is that ironic? Seems a bit to me. I don't remember having any idea that such a day existed back then. I just knew that God had called us to adopt a child affected by this pandemic.

There is a quote on my friend Lisa's Blog that says :
6000 children will be orphaned by AIDS today. Could you love one?

My answer is yes! And I know that for many of you the answer is a bit more complicated. I can honestly say that I understand your wariness. I do. I still pray for more people to 'love one'.

While in Ethiopia I met a baby girl. Her name is M. She was 45 days old. Abandoned. She has hiv. It so breaks my heart. I wanted to bring her home with me that very day. I think about her every day. I pray for her every day. I think of her mother. What caused her to abandon this beautiful little life? Did she know she had hiv? Is she even still alive?

I can't tell you how much respect I have for the people in Ethiopia (and all over the world) that care for these children. The stigma is still so very strong there. It's difficult to find nannies to care for the children. Children aren't able to go to most schools because of the stigma. Those people that step up and step out are amazing! They lose so much in the process, and count it blessing in Christ.

That's the kind of person I want to be.

So today, as we remember those children that are left fatherless due to this horrible illness...let's also remember those that care for them, and love them, and give them value where the world tells them there is none.

As usual Erin says it so amazingly! AND her blog is open again so I can link to it. :o) Check it out.

2 comments:

Our journey following Christ said...

Thanks for making us more aware of the plight of those who so need families to love them.

My heart breaks with yours. Praying for families for these vulnerable, precious children.

Blessings,
Laura

OneThankfulMom said...

Such good words. I think so often of my children's families in Ethiopia and all that they have lost.