Tuesday, May 11, 2010

God's Work....

I really kind of like how God does things.

Ok, let me be a little more honest, I like how He does things, when I understand them. :o)

If you have been reading my blog for a while I get some really good ideas...they kinda feel like God's speaking...then it doesn't pan out for some reason or another. So, is it me? Or is it because God didn't give me that idea, I just made it up? Do you ever feel that way? Do you ever feel like you have been given a vision from God and are SO sure it's all about Him and find out that perhaps you were wrong?

Last year...about mid summer I began thinking that starting a foundation would be a really good thing. I had all kinds of wonderful ideas and plans. I knew what I was going to do for fundraising and knew what I wanted to call it and every thing. The problem was that I couldn't decide on the focus of the foundation. I had a general idea, a broad idea, but no real concrete plan. I kept praying, but God wasn't providing that piece of it. I also didn't have any other's that were ready to come on board... probably because it wasn't God's plan. Or maybe it wasn't His plan...yet.

I work full time outside of the home. I have a family. I also have church obligations and at the time was leading the mission team. God knew that I wanted to do something large and glorious for Him, but I just wasn't ready. I am a great multi-tasker, but I am getting older and forget much more than I used to...lol Anyone relate?

I am getting more of an idea of what He wants from me, but I have been waiting on His true leading. I was so very sad not to have been able to get to the Orphan Summit because I was so sure He would give me some ‘sign’… (insert the chorus of Angels …ahhhhhhh) Yet it wasn’t meant to be. I wasn’t meant to go. I have been reduced to reading all the blog posts of my friends that did go. :o) It’s actually been really good.

I read on one blog, that it was said, that in order to care for the Orphan…to be truly effective in what you are going to do… you have to be committed. Committed 100% to the cause and stick with it. Don’t just fly in on a 2 week mission trip and think you have done your duty. Step up…and Step in…then Stay in.

This philosophy is what had me praying quite a bit before we left for our trip. I didn’t want this to be a 2 wk check mark on our list of things to do in life. I wanted it to be a trip built on relationship. I wanted to meet people, get to know them, find out about them see what made them tick. See how I might learn how I could work along side them.

In some ways I did that…in others I am still waiting for confirmation.

I feel like the need to be 100% committed to something is why God didn’t give me any more to the “vision” of starting a foundation. He knew that I would not be able to commit to it and that anything that I may start, would not be effective. Thank you God!

I have felt a little lost since completing the mission trip. Wondering what I am supposed to do with myself. I have grand ideas…. But I am waiting this time to see what God does. What doors He’s opening.

I have had the privilege of speaking to the coordinator of the Mid-Atlantic Orphan Summit several times. I am helping in the tiniest way with advertising…nothing exciting, other than it’s way cool to feel like I am doing a tiny part.

I think about the Summit that just ended and Praise GOD for the amount of people that showed up for it… but can’t help but think… there should have been so many more! Think about the people that flock to Women of Faith or Promise Keepers or Christian Concerts or Aquire the Fire…or heck to hear Joel Osteen, Beth Moore or Joyce Meyer? How come more aren’t flocking to these Summits? Is it because when you go to one of those other events you are being told how God can change you…”fix” you… and when going to an Orphan Summit God is asking you how you can change the world?

I am not in anyway trying to diminish the effect or work that’s being done…I just wonder how we get more people to show up? How many stars have adopted? How many Christian stars have adopted or are connected with adoption in one way or another? How do we get them involved with an Orphan Summit? How do we get people to realize that when we work together the HUGE problem of Orphan care can be changed, one person at a time, working as a team…...

~sigh~

See…. I am full of all kinds of ideas… I get excited about the possibilities… I just need God to work out the rest. And give me the wisdom to stick with what HE gives me…not what I think.

Thanks for listening….

2 comments:

Our journey following Christ said...

I *sigh* with you. I also cannot understand where all the Christians are in terms of jumping in with both feet to care for the orphan. Certainly they have t.v.'s and internet and have heard others speak on the life and death problems related to the orphan and vulnerable among us. In my circle of friends, I'm pretty much all alone.

On the bright side, I do see God moving in a big way among Christians at this time though. Last year, the Summit had 700 attendees, this year more like 1300. That's a LOT of growth. I think in time, we will see the church wake up.

The problem with that is...it will be too late for thousands or even millions.

This is the tragedy.

You're not alone...I get it.

Blessings,
Laura

Tammy said...

Since our adoption, I'm looking at the world through a different lense. Many times when talking to friends, I just want to shake them and say "Don't you get it!" but then I realize that I didn't get it at one time. Being the voice and educating others is exhausting, especially when you feel so alone. That's why it's important for all of us to keep the momentum going through prayer and communications. We need to come along side each other and encourage each other to press on.

I am feeling the same as you right now, not knowing what is next. Lately, I've been hearing the song, "You are an everlasting God" and the verse, "strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord" really stands out for me.