Thursday, October 8, 2009

Working for God

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord and not for people.
Colossians 3:23

That's a pretty hefty verse isn't it?

What ever you do, do it as if you were working for the Lord.

Can you imagine the Lord in the office next to you?  Or at the desk across from you?

How much more differently would you act?  Speak? React?

Well the truth is that He IS there.  He's always there, always with you, always watching.  Not like some creepy Big Brother figure, but truly He is always present.

Boy do I fall short of this calling...way too often than I care to think about.  How come?  How come it's so hard?  I am so so like Paul when he says he does those things he knows he shouldn't... yet doesn't do the things he knows he should.  Man I am so glad God chose Paul to be a carrier of His word.  I relate so much to him! ;o) 

I heard in a sermon once that God had to have written the bible because if it had only been man's words...those guys that weren't so perfect would have written out, people like David and his transgressions, and Paul and the thorn in his side...lol  SO true!

The leadership study I am doing talks about being the "Salt and Light" in the world being the "City on a Hill"  ... don't those things require us to work like we are working for the Lord?  Yes, I think so.

I thought of this concept last night while running.  I am still having some issues with my legs not really wanting to run.  They hurt.  Sometimes badly.  I do not think it's injury, it's just that my legs are not used to this kind of work.  They aren't used to moving like that, and carrying this weight to that extreme.  I had run 3 miles on Tuesday night and felt pretty good.  Last night I went out and couldn't complete 2 miles running.  I ended up walking most of the way home.  With about a 1/4 mile left I just started sprinting... I had playing through my head all the reasons I should quit...and all those times I have just given up something that was 'too hard'.... I began to sprint and cry.  I ended up in a sobbing heap in my husband's arms in the driveway at the end.  I kept repeating I will not quit, I will not quit.  He thought I was a bit unhinged...lol

Could I do another exercise that isn't so painful?  Sure.  Could I just walk? Sure.  But I set a goal, I want to show so many people... and more importantly myself that I can do this.  I CAN finish this race. I CAN complete this task. 

My children will see that I set a goal and accomplished it...for once...lol  My husband will see that I am not quitting.  I am following through.  My friends that have told me I am nuts to try this at 39yrs old will see that while I am most certainly nuts... I can still complete this. 

I feel like I am also showing God that I am capable of His calling.  Do I have to prove anything to Him?  No, but I feel like it's a test, one that I am determined to pass.

4 comments:

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

KEEP IT UP!!!!! Don't ever give up!!! Hang in there- behind you all the way. I love that verse...in fact I think I will use it as our next verse to memorize- for me mostly :) God totally loves it when we stick with it- especially for HIS glory. Praise God!

Adeye said...

wooohoooo---that was AMAZING!!!!! Loved it. So well written.

Love you heart, friend.

Andrea Hill said...

Paul is my favorite diciple. I can read the book of Acts over and over and over. I always love your truthfulness about yourself when you are writing. You are not fake and I love that about you. Can't imagine how spiritul this leadership training must be.
Also keep at it with your running. You are awesome.

Our journey following Christ said...

You can do this! Don't give up. You will finish your goal if you don't give up.

Keep leaning on Him and asking for His strength. He's faithful.

Blessings,
Laura